When form meets function
I began as an artist with a goal; making creative interactions. Before the introduction of the personal computer, I'd spend a lot of resources on my work with little exposure. Technology advanced and I began using digital mediums to try new ideas; finally landing in the web.
After 20 years of writing code for memorable experiences, I've found my purpose in life; to not only produce but to also pass this knowledge to others.
Senior Engineer, UX Platform — GoDaddy
- Thought leader for the next iteration of their global design system which adheres to guidelines in accessibility, localization, compliance, and performance.
- Conceived a private-label theming tool for styling products with variations of color, typography and iconography that allows both designers and engineers to test design changes before production releases.
- Engineered a style reporting tool that identifies all overrides applied to reusable components in a given product which provides a lens into features that the current system may need.
- Launched a volunteer program for engineers that adopts a federated model for contributing to the design system across the organization.
Senior UX Engineer, Design Systems — Compass
- Responsible for all CSS across compass.com between the marketing and product web platforms, written by over 50 engineers daily.
- Upgraded the existing design system to export live production code into reusable design assets (ie. Sketch symbols) to maintain one source of truth between design and development.
- Expert in creating rapid, high-fidelity interaction prototypes for the purpose of user-research and usability studies using front-end technologies and design applications.
Lead UI Designer & Front End Developer — Itemize
- Led design and development for the current fully responsive consumer-facing web application using the existing legacy API framework without external dependencies.
- Authored web analytics for user experience feedback and error recording metrics to proactively manage potential development changes.
- Architect of a new flexible data structure in order to model any financial document with multiple input levels.
- Established the company styleguide and designed all company assets and collateral for presentations, sales and marketing.
- New School, Parsons School of Design Part-time faculty
- New York Institute of Technology Part-time faculty
- Galvanize Instructor, web development
- The Austin Space Instructor, web development
As an instructor, I've gotten wonderful feedback from my students. My teaching style is unorthodox but very effective in comforting non-programmers into handling code confidently.
I went from hating programming post-college, to strongly reconsidering a career as a programmer. — Akeem Lawrence
Donnie rolled through the basics, drew some boxes on the chalk board, and brought a whole room of beginners up to speed and had us coding within an hour. — Logan Willams
The following embeds are a few small components and interactions I've built. The majority of my public work is onset by inspiration from other artists, a need that I've identified or, simply learning a new technique.