When form meets function
I began as an artist with a goal; making creative interactions. Before the introduction of the personal computer, I'd spend a lot of resources on my work with little exposure. Technology advanced and I began using digital mediums to try new ideas; finally landing in the web.
After 20 years of writing code, I've found my purpose in life; to not only produce but to also pass this knowledge to others.Github contributions, year to date
Senior UX Engineer Compass
- Responsible for all CSS across compass.com between the marketing and product web platforms, written by over 50 engineers daily.
- Upgraded the existing design system to export live production code into reusable design assets (ie. Sketch symbols) to maintain one source of truth between design and development.
- Expert in creating rapid, high-fidelity interaction prototypes for the purpose of user-research and usability studies using front-end technologies and design applications.
Lead UI Designer & Front End Developer Itemize
- Solely designed and developed the current fully responsive consumer-facing web application using the existing legacy API framework without external dependencies.
- Authored web analytics for user experience feedback and error recording metrics to proactively manage potential development changes.
- Architect of a new flexible data structure in order to model any financial document with multiple input levels.
- Established the company styleguide and designed all company assets and collateral for presentations, sales and marketing.
As an instructor, I've gotten wonderful feedback from my students. My teaching style is unorthodox but very effective in comforting non-programmers into handling code confidently.
I went from hating programming post-college, to strongly reconsidering a career as a programmer.— Akeem Lawrence
View more testimonials
Donnie rolled through the basics, drew some boxes on the chalk board, and brought a whole room of beginners up to speed and had us coding within an hour.— Logan Willams
The following embeds are a few small components and interactions I've built. The majority of my public work is onset by inspiration from other artists, a need that I've identified or, simply learning a new technique.View more work samples